A group of online workers in Kenya came together and realized that even though Kenya is full of talented individuals, especially the youth, opportunities were not enough to create and maintain a thriving online workers’ community that would see individuals lift themselves out of low-income households to either middle income or high-income households.
The organization is the first of its kind in Kenya, and as the online freelancing industry grows, OPWAK will continue being at the forefront to provide a network for mutual support and advancement in the industry.
WHO WE ARE
Online Professional Workers Association of Kenya (OPWAK) is a non-profit organization and the voice of Kenya’s online workers. It brings together online workers in Kenya with the aim of providing a wide range of resources that will help the members to excel in their chosen profession.
Headquartered in Nairobi, OPWAK is run almost entirely by member volunteers, all of whom are also online workers.
- To be the recognized professional Association for online workers in Kenya
- To unit all online workers in Kenya
- To advance and champion for the rights and interests of online workers.
- To foster linkages with like-minded Associations globally.
- To bring members together and promote networking within and without the Association.
Our mission is to SUPPORT existing freelancers and engaging with government and corporates on their behalf. We also want to WELCOME new professionals in the freelance industry, enlighten them on training opportunities, and promote online work as a viable alternative to regular employment.
We want the WORLD to know that there is a huge pool of skilled professionals in Kenya with the right infrastructure and training to support their business needs remotely.
- Be the recognized professional Association of choice for online workers.
- Unite online workers and bring recognition to their professions.
- Advance and champion for the rights and interests of online workers.
- Reduce unemployment by creating awareness about job opportunities online.
- Foster linkages with like-minded Associations globally.
- Bring members together and promote networking.
- Promote financial welfare members.
- Provide information that will assist online workers negotiate for better rates.
- Skills development